Hi! It might take a while before a new hedgehog is completely comfortable around you. You can try the t-shirt trick: put a worn shirt into the hedgehog cage. This will get him used to your scent sooner. Handling him often is very good, it will help a lot. You just have to be patient because it can take a while, don’t give up :)
Sure! I’ll name some pros and cons for you:
- Hedgehogs need special care: they need a heat source to keep their surroundings at about 23-25 degrees Celsius, they need footbaths, you have to clip their nails, etc. You have to do a lot of research.
- Hedgehogs are nocturnal, so you won’t see him much during the day. If you go early to bed every day, you won’t see your hedgehog much.
- You’ll have to clean the hedgehogs wheel daily. Hedgehogs need a wheel, and they make it very messy during the night.
- Some hedgehogs are not very social. You have to keep in mind that some hedgehog like to cuddle, but not all of them. Some only like to explore, and some don’t like to be around humans. Hedgehogs can also be a little grumpy or scared sometimes and put their quills up. They quills can hurt, but when the hedgehog is relaxed they lay flat and don’t hurt at all.
- Hedgehogs need daily socializing. This is quite easy to do: for example you can let the hedgehog sleep on your lap while you watch television.
- The initial cost is quite high.
- Hedgehog have very strong, personalities. Some hedgehogs love to cuddle, some love to explore and play, and they are often very funny. Every hedgehog is different, they all act different and have different habits, and they all are amazing!
- After the initial cost, hedgehog don’t cost that much.
- Hedgehogs don’t need shots
- They are quiet
- They don’t have a strong smell at all.
- Bonding time is very fun and easy. You can let your hedgehog sleep on your lap, or you can put your hedgehog in a playpen with some toys and let him explore and play. You can also sit in the playpen with him, some hedgehog like to climb all over their humans.
- It is scientifically proven that hedgehogs are 100% pure happiness put into one amazingly cute animal :p
If you want to know more about hedgehog and find out if hedgehogs are the perfect pet for you, you can go to my care information page. I hope this helps!
Most hedgehogs don’t really play with toys in a way that for example dogs do. A ‘toy’ that every hedgehog loves is a wheel, which every hedgehog needs. Many hedgehogs love to play with toilet paper rolls, they stick their heads in it and walk around with them. This behavior even has a name: tubing. Kiwi doesn’t like tubing though :p. You can also try if your hedgehog is interested in cat toy balls, small stuffed animals, rubber ducks, etc, because some hedgehogs like to play (push the toy around, carry it) with these kind of things :)
Hey! Maybe you can try to explain to them that hedgehogs aren’t that scary. Tell them that the quills of a hedgehog lay flat when he is relaxed, and that the quills don’t hurt when they lay down. Hedgehogs also (generally) don’t bite, and they don’t carry diseases. There is nothing to be afraid of! Maybe you can convince them to touch the hedgehog first while you hold him for example, so that they can overcome their fear. Hopefully they will realize that hedgehogs aren’t scary and are just very cute! However, I know from personal experience that some people can’t be convinced, but as long as they respect your opinion I guess you’ll have to respect their vision as well. I hope this helps you!
I’m glad you like the pictures! The cake is wet cat food coated in cottage cheese. Congratulations on getting a hedgehog! :)